February 01, 2009

COLOR BLOCK

DRAWN TO PACITA
Photobucket
Discovering Pacita Abad ( A gift from Basco, Batanes), Graphic appeal – superpowers I used to have my therapist took away. I’m drawn! Her work’s totally offbeat and also very calm ( an exuberant combination of circles and stripes). Thank you Pup for the books you got me.

FLOWER POWER
Photobucket
I love a good purchase. Very few things fill me such ecstatic joy than seeing a pair of beautifully made socks from Paul Smith (Thank you guys for the friendly discount). Yesterday, I almost wet my briefs with excitement.(haha)

Socks: Paul Smith
Shoes: my 2 year old Carbon work shoes

ART SCENE
muslim,vintas,regatta,ram bucoy,raul bucoy
Regatta
14X17 OIL ON CANVAS
by: Raul Ramon Lopez-Vito Bucoy II

The Regatta de Zamboanga is a boat race intended to present to the world the beauty of the vinta. The sails and hulls, often along with the participants, are clad in bright and colorful outfits, which complement the party like atmosphere.

The vinta ( locally known as lepa-lepa or sakayan) is a traditional boat found in the Philippine island of Mindanao. These boats are made by Bajao lining in the Sulu Archipelago. It has a sail with assorted vertical colors that represents the colorful culture and history of the Muslim community. These boats are used for inter-island transport of people and goods. Zamboanga City is known for these vessels

My paintings depict the colorful culture in southern Philippines. I’m very pleased with how things are going and I really enjoyed exploring all the patterns and subtle color shifts. I will definitely be doing larger ones and maybe even some more square ones this year - while they do take a long time, the end result is amazing. I have to be careful not to get lost in the patterns and remember to step back and make sure it’s working from a distance too. It’s easy to get lost in making beautiful shapes

4 comments:

Michael Morco said...

Wow you finished your painting in just a few days, congratulations!

The socks rock!

ME BUDDHA BANANA said...

yup, two weeks. Thanks Man.

re my socks, yeah - love it.

zamboangagirl said...

nice painting ram. :)

ME BUDDHA BANANA said...

thank you!