February 01, 2011

BASIC MATTER 26: UMBRELLA FROM MARIO TALARICO - NAPOLI

Last Sunday after a quick bite of Melanzane alla Griglia – yes, grilled eggplant, mozzarella, sun-dried tomato and black olives at five in the afternoon, me and my friend decided to drop by AC +632 to check out pretty knick knacks.

Just like Firma, AC +632 is a wonderland of all things pretty from luxurious leather bound journals, unbranded bags , interesting coffee table books to a collection of hand-forged gardening tools which I dare not use.

What caught my attention was this dotted navy umbrella by Mario Talarico. Yes, the umbrella maker famous for his hand-sewn silky and lifelong guaranteed umbrellas. I almost pulled the trigger but my jaw dropped after finding out it cost more than my Paul Smith umbrella (around $230.00). My friend got his for $100 in Naples.

Photobucket

Mario Talarico’s hand sewn umbrellas are absolutely the best. The handles are made of the most selected and rare woods like broom, ash, malacca, birch and lemon – beat that! Plus, when held, It feels totally right.

Photobucket
(All photos from J. Mark Bertrand)

I probably should just get one for my birthday unless someone buys me one (wink).

No comments: