December 20, 2011

DELAYED FLIGHT AND OCCASIONAL FREE THROWS

Last night was dripping with humidity and heat, and it is supposed to feel crisp and cool. Tonight surprisingly gave in and I just can’t help but enjoy the smell of newly cut grass.

I have taken my holiday break a few days earlier and it feels like I am centuries away down south. Yes, this sudden shift makes me feel like I am in celebrity rehab but thank god I was able to grab a copy of Rafe Bartholomew's basketball diary to the Philippines, where most men here are 5'4, and everyman's Air Jordans are a pair of flip-flops.

Photobucket
(Rafe Bartholomew, currently an editor of Harper’s Magazine, obtained a Fulbright grant to study the phenomenon of basketball in the Philippines.)

Rafe’s wonderfully written journey in my side of the pond kept me giggling non-stop the whole three hours at the airport, that I almost missed my flight.

“Basketball fever in the Philippines ran so hot that the government once rescheduled a voter registration drive after learning that it conflicted with the telecast of an NBA finals game.” – Rafe Bartholomew

I was hooked and the wrigglers inside my stomach skipped a beat as I continue to flip each page – I mean, who would have thought my country was so hoops obsessed.

Now, what to wear tomorrow?

No comments: