August 31, 2011

SAG HARBOR AND FOUR MORE

It does feel like the end of times – earthquake and hurricane Irene in the east coast of the United States, the tsunami in Japan a few months ago, local Filipino designers retagging suits out of boredom, and a huge number of the population replacing actual books to e-books on Kindle or iPad. Horrible!

Just like exposing an awful mangina in public, seeing it again is like anticipating the apocalypse, hoping for a second chance in the world of slim trousers and bespoke shirts.

Anyhoo, my canceled two day sojourn to sandy and sunny south (thanks to an unexpected typhoon) yearned me for simpler times in bed, wrapped in my white sheet with a number of unread books purchased a few months ago.

Photobucket

Just like my obsession with anything classic and vintage, I prefer reading books and sniffing each page than owning an iPad.

I have been alcohol free since Saturday and I just recently finished four books from my nightstand - Bare Blass: Bill Blass’ biography, Cotton by Christopher Wilson, Snark by David Denby and First in his class: Bill Clinton’s biography.

Photobucket
(Sag Harbor by Colton Whitehead)

Currently, I am on my first chapter of Sag Harbor, a story about a black student at an elite prep school in Manhattan who every summer, spends it at the Hamptons.

I understand I have to get out of bed, trim my bush (beard) and change into my blue seersucker short trousers but again, I cannot stop sniffing every page of this book – I must stop!

No comments: